Home > Our School > School History
A Brief History of our School
Do you know how Radin Mas Primary School got its name?
Princess Radin Mas Ayu was the only daughter of Lord Pengiran Agong of Java and a beautiful court dancer. After the tragic death of his wife in a fire, Pengiran left Java with his daughter for Temasek. He married the daughter of a local Temenggong and lived in an Istana at the foot of Mount Faber.
The main building of this Istana was converted into a school in 1926.
Radin Mas School started as a boys' school with an enrolment of 40 pupils. In the 1950s an annexe was added as the enrolment increased.
The old Istana building is on the right - now demolished and gone forever, but captured for eternity on canvas by Ong Kim Seng, Singapore's foremost water colour artist, himself an old boy of Radin Mas In 1984, the school was relocated at its present site at the junction of Bukit Purmei and Lower Delta Road. It is now known as Radin Mas Primary School and has since become a co-educational English medium school. With the move came a change in uniform for the boys - from an all-white to dark blue shorts and white shirts with dark blue stripes. The new school is a large modern building which houses 36 classrooms, a large hall, a canteen, many special rooms and a field.
When the school moved to its present site in 1984, it had 36 classes with an enrolment of 1215 pupils. The enrolment has been steadily increasing year by year.